Ririe Reservoir, Idaho

Today I got out with some of our kids to explore and play on a nearby reservoir.

IMG_1073

The paddle boards proved a huge hit.

IMG_1075

IMG_1090

We hauled two paddle boards across the back of Northern Cross.  The didn’t move an inch.  

IMG_1092

We offset the fins and placed the paddles across the top.  

IMG_1088

Bennett loves to drive.

IMG_1095

The older kids blasted the tunes inside the cabin.  We all had a great time.

IMG_1079

The cabin cover proved an excellent place to get out of the sun.  By removing the filler boards, you still get good air movement through the cabin.  

Parting Shot:

IMG_1081

It doesn’t get much better than this folks.  A great time was had by all.  

What we learned:

  1. The paddle boards were a total hit.  By tying up to a dock, it allowed the kids to play on the boards and explore the area.
  2. With the bimini up and cabin top installed, we had a huge amount of shade and a great place to lay down and get out of the sun.  With the filler boards removed, we still had excellent air flow through this area.
  3. Music as provided by the teenagers, keep things hopping.
  4. Food out on the water is essential and keeps everyone happy.
  5. The boat works as well as a transport tool and it does and exploring rig.

Summary:

My kids had so much fun on our Skiff America.  It was very rewarding for me as the builder to see my kids having so much fun on a boat I built.  I’m very impressed by the design and functionality of this simple, affordable water craft.  We spent $9 dollars in gas for this excellent outing.  Amazing, just simply amazing.  Kilburn Adams, thank you for designing this most excellent boat!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Ririe Reservoir, Idaho

  1. I noticed you hadn’t posted in a while, and I obsessively check for updates, because I find your blog an invaluable resource as I work through my own build. So glad you are out enjoying the boat with your beautiful family. I hope my family will enjoy it as much as you guys seem to be when I am finally finished. I am glad to see that your teenagers are not “embarrassed” to be seen with their dad in a homemade boat. I am hoping my crew will do the same, but I doubt they are as well grounded as yours.

    Status update: I am rough finished with all seats and interior features. Finishing bunk supports now (I will work on side supports tomorrow). I ended up building a removable wooden grate/deck that goes over the rear slosh wells instead of building a motor cover. I haven’t done the helm station yet or passenger station yet (I plan on making a lockable glove box) Since I am working on the boat mostly outside I feel the urge to get at least a coat of paint of the interior so the UV stops attacking my epoxy. I am trying to get my interior mostly finished before the turn over. I took delivery of my trailer last Thursday so things are moving right along! I will probably order my motor in early August.
    If you are interested I would love to send you a few pics for your feedback. Let me know how to send.

    I have a few questions maybe you can help me with.
    1.) how much epoxy did you use on the bottom? I need to get that ordered.
    2.) How much paint do you think you used on the bottom? I am planning on using interlux brightsides, but with a different paint scheme (white on bottom, red stripe, blue on top, white stripe).

    Thanks for your blog.
    Scott

    Like

    • Scott,
      Thanks for the comments and compliments. We really enjoy our boat. It seems to do exactly what it was advertised to do. I will mention however, that weight distribution seems to be critical to balancing the boat. Light narrow boats are very responsive to weight movement and distribution. I usually throw a few kids up front and even store my extra gas in the bow to better trim the boat. I’m not sure if my build is a little heavier than others in the stern (it certainly could be), but weight up front helps us plane more efficiently.

      As far as epoxy usage: Thats a tough one…not sure exactly how much I used, but it was about 3X as much as I thought I was going to need. The Zynole sucks up epoxy like nothing I’ve ever seen before, literally about 3-4 times more than fiberglass. So, tons of epoxy is my answer.

      Paint amount: I would guess a couple of quarts, but I really can’t remember. It won’t be any different that any other painting application.

      Scott, it sounds like you are making great progress. Keep up the good work. I’ll sent you my email address via private email.

      Best,
      Brent

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s