With record low temperatures of -12 deg. Fahrenheit, we’re all trying to stay warm around here. After running my shop heater for a couple of hours, I was able to get a few things done.
Check it out:
I didn’t want to be a ‘one arm bandit’ when reaching for gear under the bunks, so I attached a line holding the bunk hatch up and out of the way. I ran the line near the aft edge of the bunk so it can be reached and attached while sitting on the aft bunk hatch.
Stainless pad eyes with stainless carabiners proved a simple solution.
I ran the line under the bunks and secured it with a figure 8 knot.
All bunk hatches in the open position. The night stands don’t allow the aft bunks to open as far as the forward bunks, but still quite workable. Truth is the front bunks won’t open that far either once the sleeping pads have been installed. I left plenty of line length for final adjustment of the tethers.
I love how the cabin turned out with the navy and white stripe. The stripes visually level out the cabin and hide the chine fillets.
Finally, I got the navigator console installed. I’m now ready to focus on the cockpit. Lots of control lines to run, holes to drill and seats to secure.
With the cabin virtually complete, minus the soft enclosure and sleeping pads, I’m ready to begin finishing the cockpit and construction of the boarding ladder. I can feel this project beginning to give way. It’s been such a rewarding build, I’m not sure I want it to end. Still tons to do, but I’m definitely on track for a spring launch.
I snuck in a few hours this morning to get a few odds n ends knocked out.
Take a look:
Navigator console with 2nd coat of epoxy applied.
Throttle/Shifter mount from Okoume plywood.
Angled bimini mounts from mahogany.
I’m really looking forward to building the last 2 major items for my boat. Namely, the motor cover and the outboard ladder. Still tons of little things to do, but definitely getting closer.
I wanted to build an additional console for the navigator. This console has a different purpose. It needs to hold misc small items of convenience and utility. I decided to use the same general layout as the helm console, yet with a few small changes.
Check it out:
I used the same top rail design, opened up the front and added a floor to hold the misc items.
Exposed corners can be very painful if not dangerous on a boat. I forgot to round over the top and bottom outside corner of this console, so I’ll rasp them round before applying the next coat of epoxy.
I cut a small dado on the back side to hold the floor. I also nipped off each corner to allow rain water to escape. The floor cutout on the right side of the image is to allow room for the butt joint doubler.
This console should be a handy place to stash my phone, camera, compass etc. I love being organized and this little console will go a long way in accomplishing this task. As the snow continues to fall outside and the temperatures hover in the teens, I’m thankful for a heated shop and a place to get out of the cold. It makes our winters so much more enjoyable to have a place to work. We all nordic ski in my family and we do love to get out in it, but today I’m grateful to stay inside, work on my boat and stay warm.
After 2 coats of epoxy and proper sanding, the console was ready to be installed.
Take a look:
I used wood screws from the backside of the bulkhead to hold the console in place while it cures. I’ll smooth the fillet against the gunwale (with a gloved finger and alcohol) once it sets up a little more.
I held the console just shy of the gunwale.
I held the top rail inboard, as not to compete with the gunwale line and curve.
I mocked up the steering cable to make sure it would reach before installing the console. It looks to be just right in length. I’ll now begin working on a navigator console to hold sun screen, camera, binoculars and other misc.