Still finishing up loose ends with Northern Cross
First up: The Front Storage Hatch
I applied a liberal amount of silicone around the hatch prior insertion.
The O-ring kept coming off the hatch plate, so it also got a dose of silicone. I screwed the hatch into the front bulkhead using 1/2″ SS screws.
This could prove to be a great place to add some ballast for trim if needed, or other things you rarely need to access.
Just need cushions and I’m ready to go.
Next up: The Garbage
You always have garbage. Drink your pop…need somewhere to throw it. Eat your sandwich…need somewhere to throw the napkins. Toast off the licorice…need somewhere to throw the wrapper.
My criteria for the garbage:
- Conveniently located
- Secure, so it won’t blow overboard
- Easy to replace
Check it out: (I stole this idea from my sailboat)
You start with a small soft sided storage bag, secured with a carabiner and a pad eye. The draw string/toggle keep the bag closed during travel.
You stuff the storage bag with disposable grocery bags. You have hundreds of them lying in the bottom of your kitchen drawers.
You secure the bag using the carabiner. When the garbage gets full, tie off the ears and toss it in the garbage at the ramp. Simple, cheap and effective.
Great News: Northern Cross goes into the upholster shop Monday morning.
The upholstery shop will be doing 4 things for me:
- Sewing a bimini
- Sewing the cabin cushions
- Sewing the cabin top
- Sewing a travel cover
…Stay tuned for a softer, more comfortable Northern Cross
Continuing to wrap up a few small details:
Bow dock lines for both sides.
Stern dock lines for both sides.
Mounting the fire extinguisher.
The front access hatch will be easier to install with the bulkhead flat than later after it’s installed into the boat. So, while I continue to wait for epoxy, I decided to install it.
I chose a 6″ port with a twist latch…much easier to remove than the sticky screw in types.
You need to make sure the placement doesn’t interfere with the bulkhead doubler.
You can trace around the inside and outside of the hatch for easy marking.
The bow floor panel is approximately 4.5″ below the bulkhead step through. After measuring and marking this line to ensure the hatch is properly positioned, I was ready to cut out the hole.
I cleaned up the cut with an 1/8″ rounder over bit in my router.
This hatch was purchased from Ductworks. It has a very impressive gasket to seal out the water. The closer feel secure and the hatch latch is easy to operate. I’ll install the hatch using stainless screws and silicone at a later date.