Well, that is except for the transom light. I couldn’t find a great place for a transom light, so I’m going to resort to using an LED flashlight velcro’d to the handle on the motor cover. I don’t plan on motoring after dark very often, so I think this low tech solution will work just fine. I’d rather attached the flashlight when needed than screw up the look of the transom by installing a light in an awkward location.
Take a look:
These are LED bow navigation lights. All the wiring is concealed and out of the way.
I ran positive and negative back to the battery, through a toggle switch for easy on/off. The wires running straight up go to the battery charger. The black devise against the bulkhead is a 12V receptacle for charging mobile devices. The charge cords will run under the bunk, up to the night stands and then plug into the electronic devices.
I mounted the navigation light toggle switch in the cabin isle way.
I purchased a Marinco battery charger from West Marine to keep my AGM battery topped off. You can also see the quick disconnect for easy attachment.
I had a lot of fun soldering wires and learning a little bit about electricity during this project. I’ve never done any of this type of work before. It felt good to successfully wire up the lights and 12V receptacle even thought it’s such a simple job.
Up next…the mounting of bow and stern cleats and chocks.
I seem to be waiting a lot lately for different reasons. First, West Marine sent me the wrong hinges for my boarding ladder, so I re-ordered. New hinges arrived…they’re also wrong (I got sent the exact same pair as the first order, both of which are wrong). Then I changed the design of the motor cover, this too required different hinges…still waiting for these. Then, I decided to add another transom Navigation light…still waiting for this light as well.
But, I did get out in the shop to solder the bow lights together today. This was especially fun soldering is totally new to me. In the past, I’ve never been very successful trying to solder, but I’ve never had the right tools to do the job. After watching a few Youtube videos, I decided to buy the needed tools and try my hand, again. It went very well and exactly how I had hoped. You know it’s a good connection when you can’t break it apart by pulling. And, it was a ton of fun.
Check it out:
I had previously drilled holes through the stem for Nav lights. Now, these predrilled holes made my life a lot easier. The wiring, once connected, runs down the middle of the stem, under the bow floor, then back under the bunks to the battery.
I used a small alligator stand with clips to hold the wires. I soldered the wires and then sliped heat tubing over the joint to seal it.
The Sea Dog LED lights look great mounted to the stem. They’re actually green and red LED lights as opposed to colored lenses. I ordered them from DuckWorks.
I ran the wiring under the Port bunk by drilling holes through the bunk supports. This keeps the wire up high and out of the way.
Once I receive the additional stern light, I can finish up the wiring and connect all to the battery. I plan to run the positive side through a toggle switch for easy on and off.