After test mounting the helm, controller, cables and seats multiple times, today was the final show…and they all got mounted permanently. What a great day!
Here’re the pieces of the helm assembly.
The No Feedback Steering Mechanism mounted through the console. You get to determine the positioning by rotating the mechanism to different hole patterns. Through bolted to the console, it feels very secure.
And, here’s the helm. Mounted in all its glory. I plan to build a small cover cap to hide the center bolt. With the helm mounted, I can install the steering cable.
The cover cap and mounting hardware look great.
Next up, the controller. It’s through bolted to the Shifter/Throttle Mount. This creates a very solid feel to the controls.
You can see the steering cable running up under the console and the other end of the steering cable with protective cap installed. Also, note the bundle of plug ends coming out of the controller. I’m not utilizing any of these, so I’ll tape them together and tuck neatly away.
Wanting to minimize the number of exposed visible cables, I ran the electrical cables under the seat.
Access hole for electrical cables.
The electrical cables for both sides of the boat come together up into the motor well through a hole drilled near the top end. The entire motor well will be covered by the motor cover. Also, note the shifter, throttle and steering cables coming through the Starboard slosh well.
I held the captains seat off the gunwales a few inches to allow room for the cables. This also increased seating comfort.
I leaned the seats back 3/4″ by placing a shim under the front edge for increased comfort.
I was worried about how the cables would look visually running aft. I now think they look just fine.
Today seemed to pull together many loose ends. It was a ton of fun seeing all these different components come together as planned. I can now focus on the electrical cable that runs to the battery, designing the motor cover and building the boarding ladder. I’m very glad I decided to build this boat.